Below is a list of non-perishable food items we are always collecting. All items should be non-perishable, single-serving, and easy for a child to open and prepare.
- breakfast items such as single-serving box of cereal, cereal bar, pop-tart, or instant oatmeal packets
- packages of peanut butter or cheese crackers
- cans of ready-to-eat soups, vienna sausages, beanie weenies, ravioli, spaghetti, or stew type meals, or cups of easy mac
- fruit items such as fruit cups, applesauce cups or boxes of raisins
- snacks such as teddy grahams, pretzels, fruit gummies, or granola bars
- 50% of students in Athens City Elementary Schools qualify for Free Breakfast-Lunch assistance.
- 27% of families in Athens have a yearly income of less than $24,999.
- One in four people in a soup kitchen line is a child.
- Alabama has one of the highest rates of food insecurity in the nation.
- Increased school attendance
- Improved academic performance
- Decreased behavior problems
- Better health and self-esteem
- Decreased stress and worry
- Better relationships with other students
- Donate food items from our wish list
- Make a monetary donation that can be used to purchase food in bulk or a grocery only gift card to be given to families over school breaks. A gift of $250 will sponsor a child’s participation in Full Tummy Project for an entire year!
- Attend a Pack and Pray Day. Our next Pack and Pray will be Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 8:20, 9:30, and 11:00 am.
- Join our delivery team to deliver bags to local schools each week. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Host a food drive with your group, church, or workplace. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Weekly sponsorship for a child: $5/week
- Monthly sponsorship for a child: $20/month
Full Tummy Project is a ministry of Friendship Church designed to address childhood hunger on a local level. The ministry serves over 175 students in Athens City Schools. We believe that no child should ever go hungry. Yet many children who depend on school provided meals have little or no access to nutritious foods on weekends and during school breaks.
Full Tummy Project provides small bags of food on Fridays for children in our local schools who have been identified by school administrators as at risk for hunger. The food in these weekend meal bags helps these children return to school on Monday ready to learn.
Children served in 2015-2016 school year: 176
Bags distributed in 2014-2015 school year: 6,786
Facts about Childhood Hunger:
Benefits of Weekend Meal Programs:
How you can help:
2016/2017 Full Tummy Project Community Partners
Full Tummy Project is a community ministry led by Friendship Church. As a community ministry, we depend upon our Community Partners to impact the lives of children. These partners have contributed financially and hosted food drives to support this project.
First United Methodist Church, Athens
First Baptist Church, Athens
Summit Crossings Church, Limestone Campus
Athens Rotary Club
Athens High School
Marion Street Church Little Helpers
Thank you to ALL of our 2016-2017 Community Partners! If you would like information on how to become a Community Partner, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also give to Full Tummy through our Friendship Church online giving system. Simply indicate Full Tummy in the notes section. Thank you for giving to Full Tummy!